I started by interviewing my girlfriend Courtney. I just asked her about her general experiences on the Internet and if she could live with out it. i also asked her if she felt safe buying things on the Internet and if she just felt safe in general. She told me that she felt very safe on the Internet. she said that she does not go to any sites were she would feel unsafe. She does not worry about buying things on the Internet. she said that with out the Internet she would be really bored and it would make her life much harder. Overall she said that she loves the Internet and with out it she felt like she would have a much harder life.
I then interviewed my mom about her Internet experience. My mom loves the Internet just like Courtney. My mom said with out the Internet she would never get anything done. She said she pays all of her bills and does all of her communicating on line. She loves buying things and sending emails and watching TV. She said she sits at the computer for about 3 hours a day doing "Chores" as she called them. She said she feels safe doing all of these things online and said she felt like she had nothing to worry about.
Then I asked my grandma about the Internet. she asked my why i wanted to know. I told her it was for a class. she told me I was wasting my money learning about the Internet. She is a funny lady. She hates the Internet and refuses to use it. It was funny hearing her talk about how bad it is even though she has never used it. She said that it is just to watch pornography. I told her she could just use it for email and nothing else and that way she would not have to write letters to everyone. She replied with " I like writing letters". Overall my grandma hates the Internet because it is bad and takes up to much of peoples time and rots their brains.
It was really interesting to hear my mom talk about how she loves the Internet and then hear her mom talk about how she hated it. It just showed my that their has been a huge change in the way people think between the ages of 50 and 70. The 70 year old people do not like technology and do not rely on it nearly as much as the 50 and younger people.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
When asking your girlfriend about sites that made her feel safe or unsafe, how does she judge the website. Are there certain things that she looks for or is it just a feeling? What kind of chores does your mom do on the internet for 3 hours? I know a lot of people that pay their bills online and find it so much easier that way. I am only 21 years-old but I prefer to write checks and use the "snail" mail. I don't think that the use of the internet depends on how old you are but more so on how you choose to live your life.
Andy,
My grandmother had a similar response to my questions when I asked her about the internet. I think that a reason for this might be because of the way that the media portrays the internet with news stories. If you are watching the news you will hear about online predators, identity theft, pornography sites and people just getting all around screwed by using the internet. I can see why my grandmother is so frightened to use the internet when she gets along fine without it and that the risks of the internet are so highly publicized in the media. Along with the fact that she doesn’t own a computer and would have no idea how to use one if she did.
Good post,
Alan
Hey Andy, I had a similar experience with this assignment. Both of my friend and my uncle love to use the internet. They say it is useful and it also helps them get through the day easier without much hassle. My dad on the other hand doesn't use the internet often. I think this is because our generation has grown up using the internet at an early age. Older generations has to catch up and learn how to use modern day inventions. Just like the saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Nice post.
Post a Comment