Monday, February 4, 2008

Writing letters

I'm going to start this by saying that I hate witing letters. When I was younger my mom would make me write hand written letters to everyone I got a gift from. By the time I was 13 I actually hoped that I wouldn't get very many gifts becasue i didn't want to write that thank you letters.
So I dicided to write the hand written letter to my grandma becasue she always writes me letters. She actually called me when she got it because she was so exited. I never write her letters so when she got it she said that "she just had to call". The funny thing about me writing her the letter by hand was that she doesn't even have a computer so she wouln't be able to read an email. She just refuses to mold to what our society wants her to. She thinks what our cultures is doing with technology is great and all, but she says that she is gonna die soon and there is no reason for her to learn all of this new stuff when it changes ever few months anyways. She is 78 and in perfect health so i don't think she is going to be dieing any time soon. My gradma proves to me that we do not need to follow what our cultures is doing. She has a job, a house, and a family and keeps in contact with everyone without technology. It is cool for me to think that she can do that when our culture is moving twords everything being electronic. She uses a phone and a pen an paper.
I wrote to my dad in an email. He got the email within about 30 minutes. He just wrote back that he apprictiated what i had said and then told me prety much that he liked me too. It was funny to see how much more the hang written letter ment to my gradma. My dad liked the email, but my grandma loved the hand written letter. All of this to me meant that the old fashioned way of doing things ment more. The ways we used to do thing way better. Our culture has made things so imformal that we are forgetting what it truely means to be a human. yes I said it. I think that in some ways our culture has created a monster. technology is taking over everything and that is not always a good thing. it makes our lives easier, but at what price. I really belive that we need to keep some of our old traditions around. If we do not do this I don't want to see what our culture looks like in 100 years. I think that people will be so numb that we will act more like robots than humans. All i am trying to say will all of this is that the simple act of writng my grandma a hand written letter made me realize that we need to do things like this to keep our culture how it is. if we fall into the easy way of doing things to often we are going to hurt our culture.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Katy Hersh's response...

I agree with you on some points. There are many positive and negative points with technology. It makes our lives easier by providing the convenience we seek to communicate with our colleagues, friends, and family. On the other hand, we are a lot less likely to phone someone we can text a message to and hand write a letter to someone that we can email. Our society will always be advancing, so it is interesting to think what our culture will be like one-hundred years from now.

Latu Moala said...

We have many similarities on this assignment. I too sent my dad an email because we talk very often anyways so that is why I decided to write him the email. I would have to agree with you on how our modern day culture has made everything so informal. I believe that it is true that the old fashion way of communicating meant so much more because we would actually spend time on it. Modern day society has technology to use to make communicating easier. Although I think the old fashion way is better, it is more convenient to use modern day technology to communicate because we have become more busy.

K.V. said...

Andy,
Do you think you'll write more handwritten letters, since you know how much it meant to your grandmother? I think email, is like the trying to buy a gift for someone that has everything. Meaning it's hard to make an impact, since most people receive a ton of email everyday. Since snail mail is delayed and people really don't get much of it maybe that's why people appreciate it much more.
Kenyatta