My favorite thing about the internet is how everyone says that they are on facebook and myspace for social networking. What exactly do they mean by that? If they mean they are trying to meet people to get a job then I don't believe it because you would not put drunk pictures of yourself up if you were trying to get a job. If they mean they are trying to meet people to go hang out with or to part with then I don't believe that either because I have never heard of anyone meeting a good friend on facebook. I'm sure it has happened, but most facebook friends stay just facebook friends.So anyways I wanted to see what books their were on social networking. I knew that if I were to type social networking into Google I was going to see thousands of pages. When I did this I was surprised to see a bunch of articles or blogs just discussing social networks online. It was actually very boring. This upset me because if the internet sources for social networking were boring then the books about social networking were going to be really boring. I was right. All of the books that I could find in the Beaverton library were about how to make your business better by meeting clients online and things like that. I could not find any books about facebook or myspace. It was really no fun at all. I wanted to find some facebook hating book or some book about all the cool things you can do on facebook, but no, all I could find were boring business books.I think if I were going to write a paper about social networks I would not go to a library. I would do all of my research online and I would be much more successful that way. I feel like social networks are a huge online thing and they have not been popular long enough for their to be a lot of book written about them. If you look online you can find a huge amount of information about social networks. In the library you are going to struggle to find any books that will not put you to sleep. So in the end the internet is the better resource when it comes to writing a paper about social networks.
Teten, David. The Virtual Handshake: Opening Doors And Closing Deals Online.
Scoble, Robert. Naked Conversations: How Blogs are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers.
Benkler, Yochai. The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Makets and Freedom
http://mashable.com/?p=1536
http://www.socialnetworks.org/
http://www.orgnet.com/sna.html
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Andy I defiantly agree with your point about possibly getting a job through Facebook. I think that applying for a job through facebook is probably the worst thing to even think of doing. Individuals put pictures of all sort on facebook and everyone can see them. I just think it’s a bad idea in general. On the other hand I think there is such thing as meeting people through facebook. I have met several people in real life that I have encountered through face book. I have also heard of people meeting a significant other through facebook and it actually worked out.
That is exactly what I think also Andy. It is a horrible idea to look for a job through facebook or myspace. I think facebook and myspace are just social networking sites to keep in touch with old family and friends and that's about it. I have seen too many facebook pages where people put up pictures of themselves being hammered and passed out drunk. I know employers would not like to see that on a potential employee. But on the other hand, I know quite a few people that have met their so called "dream girl" through facebook or myspace.
I personally find Myspace and Facebook to be nothing more than a way to waste time and see how many pictures you can find of people from you rpast. I learned my lesson a long time ago not to stir up past friendships.
Anyway, the books I retrieved from the library were interesting, but not on point like the information I was able to get in a fraction of the time and without spending valuable gasoline. The information I was able to get was outdated and not quite the resources I'd hoped to find, while I got too much stuff off of the Internet...so much so I couldn't possibly read it all!
Like I've been saying all along...as much as I hate it, I love it too...
Post a Comment