Tuesday, January 15, 2008

No Internet, No Problem

I am normally one of those people that will pick up a laptop or sit down at a desktop for about 5 minutes 2 times a day just to check my Facebook, read emails, and maybe check my bank account. Pretty much in that order too. i will normally have a new friend request on Facebook and maybe a few new emails, or at least the email telling me that I have a new friend on Facebook. I check my back account so that I know that nobody has stolen all my money. With out being able to check these things I thought I was going to be upset and may even be so tempted to check them that I would give in.
I stopped using the Internet when I went to bed one night and was not going to use the Internet for the whole next day. To tell you the truth I was actually very mad that I had to do this, but I was going to do it any way. When I woke up I did my normal thing which is eating a good breakfast at about noon and then off to the gym. This was nice because I didn't have to think about not using the Internet until I got home around 2. I knew I was going to have to stay busy so I took a shower and went right downtown with my girlfriend. I watched her shop for a couple of hours before I could not take it any more. When I got back from downtown I went right to my buddies house and had some dinner. After diner a few friends and I just sat around the TV for the rest of the night.
Going to bed was the scary part that I had to really worry about. I really like to check all of my previously mentioned things right before I go to bed. it just makes me feel like I am complete. I layed in bed with my laptop sitting on the floor next to me taunting me. Its little blue light would not stop blinking. it just wanted to be opened and taken on a wonderful ride through cyberspace. it was at this time that I realized it was 15 minutes passed when I had stopped using the Internet the night before. Hurray! I picked up my laptop and opened it. I had mad it 24 hours. That wasn't so bad.
On the unforgettable day of no Internet I learned a lot about our society. iIam a person that does not really need to do anything on the Internet and yet i can not stand not using it. I cannot imagine the people that need the Internet for work and everything else in their lives. When I think about all the the people the meet their husbands and wives on the Internet it makes me laugh because people are so different on the Internet than they are in face-to-face interactions. On this day of no Internet I realized that if We as a society had to go back 50 years and write letters to each other or actually go to our friends house to talk we would be better off. i do not like how we rely on the Internet so much. I don't want to get rid of the Internet, but i do think that I will try to not use it so much and it would be a good thing if our society tried to cut back a little as well.

No comments: